Quebec Standard

Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Quebec health institute predicts a drop in COVID-19 hospitalizations

Quebec

Key takeaways: 

  • Hospitalizations are still double what they were a year back.
  • A healthcare employee moves a patient on a gurney into a Montreal-area hospital. 
  • COVID hospitalizations are beginning to fall in Quebec.

A Quebec government healthcare research institute said Wednesday that the number of hospitalizations linked to COVID-19 in Quebec is expected to drop over the next two weeks.

The Institut national d’excellence en santé et en services sociaux is predicting that the number of people with the illness hospitalized outside of intensive care will fall to 1,912 over the following two weeks, while the number of patients in intensive care will decrease to 70.

The regional Health Ministry reported 2,372 patients in hospital with the disease Wednesday, a drop of 37 from the day before. That had 92 people in intensive care, an addition of two.

The institute said in a press release it anticipates the number of new patients to drop to about 150 a day.

Also read: New federalist Quebec party to concentrate on bilingualism, minority rights

The number of hospitalizations linked to COVID-19 in Quebec is expected to drop over the next two weeks

On Wednesday, health officials said 213 people had been admitted to the hospital in the last 24 hours, and 250 were discharged.

Dr. Matthew Oughton, a contagious disease expert at Montreal’s Jewish General Hospital, said that even though the numeral of new hospitalizations may be leveling off, the virus stays present in Quebec.

“Our average number of cases per day, running somewhere about 2,000 cases across the region per day, is still almost double what we were (at) precisely a year back, and our number of patients requiring hospitalization as a result of COVID-19 is still (more than) three times higher than where we were a year ago,” he stated in an interview Wednesday.

While the case stays “relatively sound” in Quebec hospitals, Oughton said that with the numeral of COVID-19 patients still elevated, the backlog of postponed “semi-elective probes and procedures” persists in growing.

Source – cbc.ca

Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.