- The government is considering extending mask orders beyond April 15.
- Luc Boileau, Quebec interim director of National Public Health, states he is considering urging the region extend mask rulings.
According to Radio-Canada, the Quebec government will reveal its decision about the future of indoor masking laws for public areas on Tuesday.
During an interview on Sunday, Quebec’s interim public health director Dr. Luc Boileau said the government is considering extending mask orders in the region, which were expected to be lifted on April 15.
“We’re seriously considering if it wouldn’t be a suitable time to push the end of mask orders to a later date because of the seriousness of this wave,” Boileau said.
“We certainly hope to provide a proposal in that direction.”
According to Radio Canada, Quebec Public Health will guide the government on Monday, with a decision being made public the following day.
Boileau said the sixth wave of diseases has increased in severity since Quebec’s public health institute (INSPQ) confirmed its existence in the region earlier this week. About 1,300 individuals are in hospital with COVID-19 as of Friday, when 17 people died.
Still, Boileau said, no other limitations are planned. He said the government is asking Quebecers to take precautions and be advised regarding the risks of contracting the virus before doing an activity involving other people.
“People have experienced the COVID-19 pandemic. They have been attacked by it for two years. Normally speaking, they’ve soaked the critical information they require to protect themselves and others,” Boileau said.
Source – cbc.ca